Monday, September 21, 2009

Magnetic fingers!

It sounds pretty awesome to have a sixth sense, for electromagnetism (à la this Wired article on rare-earth magnetic implants). But I'm not so keen on the surgery, stuff breaking down inside me, and possible infection aspects of the process. Plus, the "non-removable" part seems a tad impractical. And then, last night, David (my most marvelous S.O.) reminded me that he'd once brought me some broken neodymium ring magnets.

...Experiment time!

I happen to have a decent collection of different types of wire, for 2D twisted-wire drawings (I got into this when making things for a holography project) and jewelry-grade maille rings. During a couple of short house meetings, I came up with three of these:


Each is made from a single piece of brass wire and a magnet (I think the brass/nickel combo gives it a touch of steampunk aesthetic). They're probably not quite as sensitive as the implants, as they're not right against the skin, but they certainly work. The magnets are very strong, and I'll definitely keep playing with this concept. More pictures to come, including detail shots of all three, plus whatever else I come up with.

Thoughts and observations:
• It works best when the magnet is loose in its holder (though still secured against possible escape). This allows it to oscillate freely, which I can feel via the wires.
• Smaller pieces seem to work better, probably for the same reason - free oscillation within a cage-style attachment, while larger pieces suggest a wrapped fixture, as above. Due to these factors, plus the fact that many feedback wires attach magnet to finger, the first fingertip I made (left in the picture) is the most sensitive.
• I'm going to try making earrings, though these will probably be ear cuffs in the same wire-wrapped style, rather than with magnets sandwiching the ear. I do not wish to have my flesh squeezed. But I have a tendency to lose ear cuffs (part of why I make, rather than buy, them), so I'd have to make these extra-secure.
• I am a total sucker for jewelry that does stuff. These are a bit impractical for everyday wear, but the cuffs will definitely be making an appearance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.